Intoxication Assault Defense
Houston Intoxication Assault Lawyers :: The Law Office of Matthew D. Sharp
Texas law defines an intoxication assault as the act of causing serious bodily harm to another individual while driving drunk. Serious bodily harm is an injury that causes a loss to the victim by means of impairment, loss of mobility or death. Any person who causes an accident by drinking and driving may be accused of intoxication assault as well as driving while intoxicated (DWI). Intoxication assault is a serious charge that has long-lasting consequences for the defendant.
Any defendant who causes a car accident while being intoxicated should know that even if a victim does not appear to be injured at the scene, medical complications can arise at any time. Should this occur, the defendant may be charged with assault after the incident. It is important to have the representation of a skilled intoxication assault attorney in any case that involves an accident.
Are you facing an intoxication assault charge?
Contact The Law Office of Matthew D. Sharp for the legal help you need
Penalties for Intoxication Assault in Texas
An individual who is responsible for vehicular assault while intoxicated may be charged with a second or third-degree felony, depending on the injuries to the victim. The potential punishments set by the state of Texas include:
- A prison sentence of two to 20 years (excluding the sentence for a DWI)
- Fines up to $10,000 (excluding the restitution that may be ordered in a civil case)
- Suspension or revocation of a driver’s license
- Up to 1,000 hours of forced community service
- Mandatory use of an interlock ignition device to ensure sobriety when driving
If the victim of the assault is a firefighter, police officer or emergency response personnel, fines and prison time may be more severe.
Possible Defenses Against Intoxication Assault Charges
A veteran criminal defense attorney can evaluate the particulars of a case and create a defense for the accused. Some possible defenses against an intoxication assault accusation can include:
- Insanity: Proving that a defendant was not in a stable frame of mind during an accident may be a potential defense that is used by an attorney.
- Self-defense: If a driver caused an automobile accident while defending himself from the victim, an attorney may be able to argue that the injuries occurred as a result of self-defense.
Contact a Houston Intoxication Assault Attorney
The Houston criminal defense lawyers at The Law Office of Matthew D. Sharp understand that people who are accused of committing intoxication assault are under a lot of stress and anxiety. They will make themselves available through every phase of your case to answer questions and inform you of your status during each step of the criminal trials process. The Law Office of Matthew D. Sharp will treat you like a real person and not a case.