Embezzlement Defense in Houston
Houston Embezzlement Lawyers :: The Law Office of Matthew D. Sharp
The crime of embezzlement occurs when an employee is entrusted with his or her employer’s money or goods and then proceeds to plunder those assets. Specific acts of embezzlement include, but are not limited to:
- Stealing cash, merchandise or services
- Understating company revenue and diverting the difference to oneself
- Deliberately transferring money from an employer’s bank account to another account
Have you or a loved one been charged with embezzlement?
Contact The Law Office of Matthew D. Sharp to discuss your case
Embezzlement is a form of theft. The penalties for conviction are outlined in Chapter 31, Title 7 of the Texas Penal Code. The exact consequence depends on the nature of the offense:
- Less than $50: A fine of up to $500
- $50 to $499: Up to 180 days in jail and/or a fine of up to $2,000
- $50 to $1,499: Up to one year in jail and/or a fine of up to $4,000
- $1,500 to $19,999: 180 days to two years in state jail and/or a fine of up to $10,000
- $20,000 to $99,999: Two to 10 years in prison and/or a fine of up to $10,000
- $100,000 to $199,999: Two to 20 years in prison and/or a fine of up to $10,000
- $200,000 or more: Five to 99 years in prison and/or a fine of up to $10,000
Defenses Against Embezzlement Charges
To convict on a charge of embezzlement, a type of white-collar crime, the state must prove that there was a deliberate intent to commit the crime on the part of the accused. As such, defenses against embezzlement charges may include:
- Employer’s knowledge or consent
- Human or machine error in accounting practices
- Willful disregard for accepted accounting practices on the part of the employer
Any successful defense against embezzlement charges requires an attorney who has a complete understanding of the law. In Houston, The Law Office of Matthew D. Sharp are the most trusted names in criminal defense.
Contact an Embezzlement Lawyer Today
The Law Office of Matthew D. Sharp has Houston embezzlement attorneys who will use their analytic skills and years of criminal trial experience to guard your rights. They will represent your best interests at all stages of the legal process.
For a free review of your case, contact The Law Office of Matthew D. Sharp, today.