Online Solicitation Defense in Houston
Houston Online Solicitation Lawyers :: The Law Office of Matthew D. Sharp
People who are charged with soliciting minors will often become social outcasts. The mere fact that someone has been arrested on such a charge is enough to put them at risk of physical violence or property damage.
What is Solicitation of a Minor?
Under Texas law, solicitation can mean:
- Sending and receiving inappropriate Internet messages that are intended to sexually arouse or gratify another person
- Arranging to meet with someone for the stated purpose of sexual activity
Texas law mandates that a person may be charged and convicted of solicitation with a minor (children age 17 and under) even if a proposed meeting does not take place. Those who are charged with this crime should contact an online solicitation of a minor lawyer.
A conviction for solicitation of a minor can result in very harsh sentences:
- All solicitation convictions are classified as felonies. They can carry a sentence of 180 days to 2 years in jail or prison and fines that may total up to $10,000.
- A person who has multiple convictions may be punished with a third-degree felony, which carries a prison term of 2 to 10 years and/or a fine that may total up to $10,000.
- Those who are convicted of solicitation will almost always have to register with the State of Texas Department of Public Safety as a sex offender. Such registration can severely impact where registrants may live, what jobs they can legally hold and their eligibility status for social services.
Defending Against Solicitation Charges
Since a conviction for solicitation of a minor can result in severe consequences, it is vital that anyone accused of this crime immediately contact a criminal defense lawyer with extensive experience in this kind of criminal law. Attorneys at The Law Office of Matthew D. Sharp are expert online solicitation of a minor attorneys in Houston who have years of expertise in defending clients who are charged with sex crimes.
Contact a Houston Online Solicitation of a Minor Attorney
The first step in arranging an aggressive defense is to contact the criminal defense attorneys The Law Office of Matthew D. Sharp for a free case review.